Pewsey Vale

Pewsey Vale

In 1847, shortly after his arrival from England, Joseph Gilbert built a fine homestead in Eden Valley and planted the region's first grapevines. Along with other vineyards in the 1920s and 30s, Pewsey Vale fell into disuse, but its potential was rediscovered.

In 1961, pastoralist Geoffrey Angas Parsons became aware his property had once incoporated the region's earliest vineyard and shared his discovery with good friend, neighbour and vigneron, Wyndham Hill Smith.

Several wine companies were considering potential vineyard sites with cooler ripening conditions than found on the Barossa Valley floor and Hill Smith needed no more persuasion - work soon began on re-establishing Pewsey Vale. Vineyard.

All plantings at Pewsey Vale Vineyard are propagated from the original 147 vines.